Barbara R. Smith
Attorney Barbara R. Smith
Walnut Creek Personal Injury Lawyer
Attorney Barbara R. Smith has an extensive background in complex business litigation. She also specializes in legal writing that involves complex plaintiffs’ litigation in practice areas ranging from civil rights and personal injury to employment discrimination.
For several years, Attorney Smith practiced in San Francisco, California at Howard, Rice, Nemerovski, Canady & Falk. She then served as a Business Litigation Associate at Womble, Carlyle, Sandridge & Rice in Raleigh, North Carolina. In addition, Attorney Smith worked for the Continuing Education of the Bar, University of California, Berkeley as the Civil Litigation Program Attorney. During this time, she was responsible for the civil litigation CLE curriculum.
Attorney Barbara Smith has clerked for the federal district courts in the Northern District of California and Hawaii as well as for the Iowa Supreme Court.
Attorney Smith graduated Hastings College of Law, University of California, San Francisco, in 1993. She was a member of the Hastings Law Review during her time there.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- California, 1994
- North Carolina, 2000
- Iowa, 2008
University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. magna cum laude - 1993
- Honors: Member, Thurston Honors Society
- Honors: Outstanding Scholastic Achievement Award
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Awards: Legal Writing and Research, Evidence, and Evidence Workshop
- Honors: Order of Coif
- Law Journal: Hastings Law Journal, Member, 1991 - 1993
Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- B.A. summa cum laude - 1986
- Honors: President’s Scholar
- Honors: Kappa Tau Alpha Journalism Honors Society
- Honors: SCAT Journalism Honors Program
- Major: Journalism
Past Employment Positions
- Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady & Falk, Business Litigation Associate, 1995 - 1998
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, Business Litigation Associate, 2000 - 2001
Pro Bono Activities
- Outstanding Volunteer Attorney, VLP, Wake County, NC
- Trained Volunteer Mediator, Mediation Center, San Diego, CA