Suspect in California Street Race Accident Turns Himself In
California authorities have reported that the driver of a car involved in a fatal accident on Feb. 25 has turned himself in to the police. Los Angeles police say that the 21-year-old man was taking part in an illegal street race at the time of the accident. He has been charged with murder, and his bail has been set at $2 million. Police said that the second driver involved in the street race remains at large.
According to a Los Angeles Police Department representative, the car accident took place shortly after the start of the illegal race. It is believed that the man facing a murder charge lost control of his sports car as he attempted to change gears. The race took place in the Chatsworth neighborhood of Los Angeles. Officers say that an examination of the Ford Mustang revealed that it had been modified to increase its already formidable performance.
Video footage of the incident shows the Mustang losing control and plowing into a crowd of approximately 60 onlookers. Two pedestrians were killed and several others injured in the accident. One of the injured spectators is said to have suffered critical injuries but is likely to recover, according to authorities.
The families of those killed in motor vehicle accidents often face financial and emotional hardship. Monthly obligations may quickly become unmanageable when a significant source of household income is gone. These problems may be compounded by unexpected medical bills and funeral costs. A personal injury attorney could file a wrongful death lawsuit against a responsible driver. If the negligent motorist is incarcerated or killed in the accident, an attorney could seek compensation from the insurance company or estate.
Source: ABC News, "Alleged street race driver charged with murder in fatal Los Angeles crash," March 1, 2015