Walnut Creek Employment Discrimination Attorneys
Representing Clients in the Bay Area since 1979!
At Casper, Meadows, Schwartz & Cook our Walnut Creek civil rights attorneys handle a variety of employment discrimination cases. Our firm has been successful representing people who have been the victims of employment discrimination or sexual harassment.
In these and other cases, our law firm has been able to obtain unpaid wages and benefits, future lost wages and benefits if the issue was a promotion, compensation for pain and suffering, attorney's fees and punitive damages.
We have been helping employees achieve equality in the workplace since 1979. Let us use our experience and skills to help you. If your employer is violating state and federal anti-discrimination laws, it is important to contact an experienced lawyer to advise you about your options.
Call Casper, Meadows, Schwartz & Cook in at (925) 275-5592 for a free initial consultation.
Racial Harassment and Discrimination
It is illegal under federal and California laws to use race to make employment decisions. When employers hire, fire, discipline or promote on the basis of race, they can be held liable for employment discrimination under the law.
Some of our cases have included:
- An employer who refuses to acknowledge the existence of ethnic slurs, racial insults and threats that create a hostile work environment
- An employer who shows a pattern of overlooking African-Americans, Hispanics, Asians or individuals of different backgrounds for promotions
- An employer who retaliates against an employee for filing a discrimination claim
- An employer who systematically eliminates African-Americans, Hispanics and other groups from the job applicant pool
We have represented people from all types of different backgrounds and cultures from throughout the world who have experienced racial harassment or discrimination in the workplace. You can rely on our team to help you as well.
It is illegal to discriminate or harass a person in the workplace on the basis of gender or sex. These laws cover private businesses, government agencies (including police and fire departments) and labor organizations. Each incident of sexual harassment is different. There are two main categories into which most cases fall — quid pro quo cases and hostile work environment cases.
- Quid pro quo: Quid pro quo sexual harassment is when the employee is required to submit to an unwanted sexual relationship in return for benefits such as promotion, a better office, better work assignments or increased pay. If the employee does not agree to the sexual contact, he or she may face demotion, termination and undesirable work assignments.
- Hostile work environment: Hostile work environment cases involve an employee being subjected to unwelcome jokes, touching, pictures or teasing that interferes with his or her ability to do the job. An employer that permits this type of behavior may be the target of a sexual harassment claim.
Contact Casper, Meadows, Schwartz & Cook today for a completely free initial consultation! We are able to provide Spanish speaking services as well.
Our law firm has handled numerous cases in both categories. We have also been involved in broader matters, including the following:
- Retaliating against an employee who filed a sexual harassment claim
- Failing to provide equal pay for equal work based on gender
- Using gender discrimination to deny promotions and educational opportunities
- Malicious prosecution in which an employee falsely charges sexual harassment
We have been able to obtain back pay, future pay, punitive damages and compensation for pain and suffering for clients who have experienced sexual harassment on the job.
Sometimes the monetary award is less important than punishing the harassing employer or co-worker. Our lawyers work to achieve full compensation and the satisfaction that comes from receiving justice. We have achieved substantial verdicts and settlements in sexual harassment cases.
Free Case Evaluations Available. Call (925) 275-5592 Now.
If your employer is violating state and federal sexual harassment or discrimination laws, it is important to contact an experienced lawyer to advise you about your options. Our firm has obtained more than 50 verdicts and settlements for more than $1 million and will devote extensive time and resources to achieving a satisfactory outcome on your behalf.