Civil Rights Attorneys in Walnut Creek
Experienced Representation in Contra Costa & the Bay Area
While police and other law enforcement officials have the authority to protect citizens, this does not mean the scope of that authority includes the mistreatment, abuse, or even death of those individuals with whom the police are in contact. This includes police misconduct during the arrest, custody and/or interrogation of a person.
At Casper, Meadows, Schwartz & Cook, our Walnut Creek civil rights lawyers have successfully represented victims and their families in civil rights actions against state, county and city police departments. Whether through trial or negotiating a settlement, we strive to bring justice to you or your lost loved one.
Contact us at (925) 275-5592 for a free initial consultation to discuss your specific case with one of our attorneys today.
Take a look at the results from several of our cases below:
- $3 Million Recovery: This case involved a man restrained by correctional officers.
- $1.825 Million Recovery: This case involved a woman shot and killed by police officer after they mistook her vegetable peeler as a weapon.
- $1.4 Million Recovery: This case involved a psychiatric patient murdered by a fellow inmate.
- $1.275 Million Recovery: This was recovered against the Gilroy Police Department after they shot and killed a man on Pacheco Pass.
- $1.25 Million Recovery: This was recovered after a schizophrenic man's needs were neglected, leading him to attempt suicide and end up in a vegetative state.
- $1 Million Recovery: This was recovered after a Rohnert Park police officer shot and killed an Asian man.
To see more Case Results, click here
Civil rights violations
Government officers are required to follow reasonable standards of behavior and action. When they violate these standards, established by the U.S. Constitution and courts of law, they are violating the civil rights of the harmed individual.
Types of behavior that can constitute a civil rights violation include the following:
- Wrongful deaths resulting from shootings or other uses of force
- Excessive force resulting in serious injuries
- Jail and in-custody deaths
Our team of attorneys can provide thorough investigative services in order to determine what the circumstances were leading up to your harm. When you’re suffering from catastrophic injuries or have lost a loved one, you deserve thorough, in-depth representation.
Casper, Meadows, Schwartz & Cook has the experience and resources necessary to pursue large and complicated cases involving serious injury or death – cases that many other firms simply can’t handle.
WHEN IS AN INJURY SERIOUS?
Our attorneys focus on civil rights violations that result in wrongful death or catastrophic injuries. Injuries become serious when they cause enough damage to a person to put them in the hospital for long periods of time, require extensive medical care, or are permanent.
Examples of serious injuries our team has seen caused by police and law enforcement include spinal cord and neck injuries, paralysis, burns, and head and brain injuries.
Our lawyers have represented clients who experienced:
- Excessive use of force during a street encounter or during an arrest
- Illegal use of chokeholds
- Improper use of tasers by law enforcement
- Improper use of firearms
- Failure to monitor an inmate's medical condition
- Failure to protect inmates from attack or to segregate violent inmates
- Failure to keep a suicide watch
MILLIONS WON BY OUR CIVIL RIGHTS LAW FIRM SINCE 1979
If you or a loved one was severely injured, or a loved one was killed due to police misconduct or mistreatment while in jail, prison, or any other law enforcement facility, contact our civil rights attorneys in Walnut Creek. One of our skilled team members can advise you about your rights and your legal options.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation to learn more about your case!