Danville Car Accident Lawyers
Helping You Receive Just Compensation After a Motor Vehicle Collision
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car accident in the Danville area? The law firm of Casper, Meadows, Schwartz & Cook is here to help you seek fair compensation and treatment so you can recover to the best of your ability. Since 1979, our team of Danville car accident lawyers has helped wrongfully injured Californians secure just compensation that covers all their accident-related expenses—including ones that may arise in the future.
Common Causes & Effects of Car Accidents
Car crashes can be caused by many factors—heavy rain, strong winds, “acts of God,” and more. However, when it comes to personal injury claims there is one root cause of car accidents—human error. When a motorist or other person or entity makes a mistake that causes injury to a driver, the victim can file a car accident claim against them.
Common causes of car accidents include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving recklessly (speeding, tailgating, weaving in and out of lanes, failing to signal, etc.)
- Failing to follow traffic signs and signals
- Failure to look out for pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcyclists
- Lack of driver experience
- Road rage
- Vehicle design defects
- Poorly designed roads
Vehicle collisions can easily lead to serious injuries. In fact, car crash victims often don’t realize how badly they are hurt until their injuries begin to manifest hours or days later than the actual crash. This is especially true for internal injuries.
Common car crash injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Burn injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), such as concussions
- Spine and spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) as well as other mental conditions
Such serious injuries can be very expensive and time consuming to treat. In some cases, victims may even suffer from the effects of a car accident for life. Therefore, it is essential to seek legal counsel that will help you understand the scope of your accident from the perspective of someone who deals with these claims every single day.
What to Do After a Car Crash
When vehicles collide, the drivers and other parties involved experience a surge of adrenaline. This can mask the pain of both external and internal injuries, making you feel as though you are fine when you have actually suffered serious injuries. Therefore, you should always be conscious of your health and wellbeing above all else during the aftermath of a crash.
Immediately following a car accident, you should:
- Seek medical attention. Call 911 and go to a hospital right away if your injuries are severe enough. If your injuries aren’t severe and you are able to remain on the accident scene for the subsequent steps, schedule a checkup as soon as you can afterward. Otherwise, you may not detect brain or other internal injuries until they have worsened. Plus, having medical records on file will help prove your car accident claim when you file.
- Collect evidence. Take pictures of the crash scene from multiple angles, write down how you remember the accident occurring, and contact the police and ask for a copy of the accident report when it’s done. Also, speak with the other motorist(s) to obtain their contact and auto insurance information for future reference. Continue to hold onto any receipts, bills, and other documentation related to the crash and aftermath.
- Contact your insurance company. Inform them that you have been involved in a crash, but do not accept any settlement offers or sign paperwork just yet. Insurance companies often put their own bottom line above their customers’ needs, which can result in them offering you a low settlement they hope you will accept before your expenses start to pile up. For the same reason, do not speak to the at fault driver’s insurance company if they attempt to contact you.
- Schedule a free consultation with a car accident attorney in your area. A lawyer can help you understand your legal rights and options following a car crash. An attorney can also help you determine more accurately how much money you need to cover your accident-related expenses.
Damages Car Accident Victims Can Recover
If you file a claim, you may be eligible to receive compensation for both financial and non-economic losses such as:
- Medical expenses, past, present, and future
- Lost wages
- Property damage repair and replacement
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Funeral and burial expenses (in cases of wrongful death)
- Punitive damages (in some cases that involve criminal acts, such as DUI)
Call Now for Your Free Case Evaluation
If you believe you may have a car accident claim, do not hesitate to contact a Danville personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options. Casper, Meadows, Schwartz & Cook offers free, confidential, and no obligation legal consultations to help you determine whether taking legal action is right for you. Should you choose to work with our firm, we will provide personalized representation based on your goals and needs. The ultimate goal is always to fight for the maximum compensation our clients are owed—even if it means going to court on your behalf.